24 March 2009

Techno-Buddhism

Strongly recommend a recent NPR interview with J Hughes on technological change. The interview starts 45 min into the mp3 and is 8 min long. Interviewer Steve Paulson's knee-jerk reactions are textbook. Quote:
"This is really a profound challenge to the way most of us think about ourselves. I mean we we we think there is some core to who I am, to who you are, there is something essential that is continuous that kinda defines who we are. You're saying, from this scientific perspective you're mapping out, that that's an illusion."
Personally, I don't think like that, but I'm happy to listen to people who do.

2 comments:

psique said...

what do you mean, you don't think like that?

fell free to tell me to sod off and listen to the interview first if it answers my question.

Chris said...

Hughes embraces the idea that the self is illusory, I resist it